Saturday, December 31, 2011

Geocaching, Travel Bugs

Geocaching is the high tech treasure hunting game that helps guide your adventures and explorations.  Travel bugs piggy-back off of this concept and add another element to the fun. 
According to the Geocaching website a travel bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.  Some of you may think this is a strange idea, but the real fun is trying to help other participating parties get their travel bugs where they want them to go.  Let's say someone buys a travel bug, registers it online and then places it in a geocache.  Now if you find this and decide to take the travel bug, you are responsible to log the removal of the travel bug online.  Once on the site you can see where the travel bug has been, and where the owner wants it to go.  Owners have goals of their travel bug's meeting up with other travel bugs, or traveling to a place the owner can only dream of going.

Some of my best experiences with travel bugs include finding a travel bug that originates from Australia, my dream travel location.  It was a travel bug attached to a Koala bear, so I instantly thought of Australia when I saw it, and was happy to find it really was from Australia.  Another time me and a friend found one in Michigan, logged it and realized its goal was to go to the Netherlands.  Being Dutch myself I thought this was intriguing! So when I went down to visit him in Illinois I brought the travel bug with me and we placed it into a cache at a park near him.  Long story short about a year later it ended up in the Netherlands, and its goal was achieved. 

The only problem I see with the travel bug concept is when a geocacher picks one up, and fails to log it online, and never moves it along to the next cache.  Although this is somewhat rare, and it does happen from time to time.  So not only is completing the goal difficult, surviving the journey proves to be a challenge for many travel bugs.

One more thing! You can geocache right from your Android phone or Apple iPhone with the Geocaching app.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year's night and sets achievable new years resolutions.  I've included a video that breaks down travel bugs a bit more.  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment